Question about long-distance dependencies

R.D.Borsley r.d.borsley at bangor.ac.uk
Mon Jun 26 18:54:51 UTC 2000

It occurs to me that topics in Korean and Japanese have distinctive topic
suufixes whereas in-situ elements have nominative, accusative, etc.
suffixes. Also where a filler gap structure involves a resumptive pronoun
the filler will often not be a pronoun and hence will differ in certain
features.

Bob Borsley

On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, Gert Webelhuth wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I am interested in analyses or empirical facts where the properties of a
> filler are different from the properties of its trace. E.g. there is an
> analysis of German partial VP topicalization where the topicalized element
> is assumed to be [LEX -] but its trace is treated as [LEX +]. Empirically,
> there are cases where an NP that is extracted must have a different case
> than it would have if it is realized locally, e.g. in a construction of
> Hungarian.
>
> Are there any additional cases like that?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Gert

I am now a member of the Department of Language and Linguistics at the
University of Essex (Wivenhoe Park, Colchester CO4 3SQ,
http://www.essex.ac.uk/linguistics/), and am in Essex most of the time.
However, it is convenient at present to go on using my Bangor e-mail
address.