Thanks everybody

Gert Webelhuth webelhut at email.unc.edu
Fri Jun 30 07:24:02 UTC 2000

Everybody,

thank you for sending me so many cases of fillers and gaps with different
properties. I intend to look into all of them carefully to try to come up
with an understanding in each case how the incompatibility arises and how
it might be handled. Just in case you wonder why I am interested in these
cases: I am pursuing the idea that SLASH is not a list of local elements
but a list of synsems, i.e. that SLASH behaves like valence lists in
carrying synsems, with the one difference that SLASH is allowed to carry a
synsem farther up the tree than SUBJ is, and that subjects are allowed to
climb farther up the tree than complements. Unlike in the present theory,
a filler and its gap then share their synsem value, not just their local
value.

At first sight, most of the cases of incompatible fillers and gaps seem to
be equally problematic for both theories, so one will have to say
something special about them either way. Hopefully, I will have something
to distribute on this topic soon.

If you come across further such cases or interesting analyses of any such
cases that I might built on, then I would appreciate a message from you.

Thanks to everybody for your help!

Best,

Gert