Correction to inquiry

Raúl Aranovich aranovch at sprynet.com
Sat Nov 11 12:20:02 UTC 2000

A week ago I posted a question regarding scrambling and binding. A couple
of readers made me notice that I gave the wrong glosses for the examples in
the question. The corrected examples are in (1) and (2). The generalization
is that the subject can bind the pronoun in the object only when the OS
word order is obtained, presumably through scrambling.

1.	*Cuándo felicitó su oponente a cada candidato?
	When congratulated his opponent to each candidate?
	'When did his opponent congratulate each candidate?'

2.	Cuándo felicitó a cada candidato su oponente?
	When congratulated to each candidate his opponent?
	'When did his opponent congratulate each candidate ?'

I apologize if this has caused any confusion. I am sometimes too wreckless
with the cut and paste ;^) In any case, I am still interested in any
references about scrambling and binding in HPSG. I have received some
answers, and will summarize for the list.

                 |-------------------------------------|
                 |           Raul Aranovich            |
                 |    Division of Foreign Languages    |
                 |  Univesity of Texas at San Antonio  |