VP ellipsis

Shravan Vasishth vasishth at julius.ling.ohio-state.edu
Tue Apr 3 23:31:52 UTC 2001

IMHO, it might be a good idea if people took a little time out to pay
attention to methodology before diving into analyses. It's just not good
enough for me that A thinks a sentence is bad but B thinks it's OK,
resulting in the conclusion that the sentence must really be
"questionable".

There's a lot of literature out there that shows you how to gather data
scientifically.  We cannot continue to ignore that whole body of work any
more (Cowart and Schuetze's books for starters, but the entire
experimental methods literature available in psycholinguistics is relevant
to syntacticians working with real languages.)

--
Shravan Vasishth
http://ling.ohio-state.edu/~vasishth