English verbs selecting Bare forms

James A. Crippen james at UnLambda.COM
Thu Apr 5 21:09:08 UTC 2001

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Robert Levine wrote:

> I agree; `daren't' definitely has an archaic flavor; what's funny too
> about it is the alternative/lower-register form `dasn't'---you almost
> have to be a character in a Dickens novel to be allowed to use it---
> which *seems* to reflect the old Germanic r~s alternation, and has no
> noncontracted analogue: *We dass not do that, *Dass we do that,

I also recall seeing 'dursn't' and I believe 'durst' both derived from 'to
dare'.  I think they were Middle English, maybe Chaucer.  And I think I've
seen them in affected Shakespearean style speech and writing.  I have no
clue about their etymology, though.  The OED might have an entry
for'durst'.

Hmm, how about 'dast we do that'?

'james

--
James A. Crippen <james at unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.2069 N, 149.766 W,