English verbs selecting Bare forms

James A. Crippen james at UnLambda.COM
Fri Apr 6 01:46:02 UTC 2001

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Robert Levine wrote:

> Larry---right, I see how that works. What about examples like the
> following, though?
>
> (i) Anyone who would dare do that with the police parked out side
>     obviously enjoys living very dangerously.
>
> This `dare' apparently doesn't require the polarity environment, but
> it also selects a bare-stem VP, not an infinitival. Is this just a
> variant of infinitival-seeking `dare'? If so, why is
>
> (ii) *Robin dares do that, but not me.
>
> bad?

Hey, that's the first example in a while that *doesn't* seem bad to me.

Maybe I'm just crazy, though. :)

> Clearly, this *isn't* quite the same thing as the `try/*tries' case
> Carl raised earlier (`If we try and do that, we'll be in trouble/*If
> Robin tries and do that, she'll be in trouble')...right?...

I would venture to guess that because it doesn't seem bad to my mind it
may not be related to the try/*tries formations.

'james

--
James A. Crippen <james at unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.2069 N, 149.766 W,