FW: English verbs selecting Bare forms

Mike Calcagno mikecalc at microsoft.com
Fri Apr 6 01:58:10 UTC 2001

Hi Bob.

I think both constructions require some polarity environment, but one
which is not limited to negation.  So, you have:

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/ente/cinema/reviews/cin_rev08.cfm
But before he dares do so, he realises he must win the approval of her
Dad.
(cf. But before any messages could be exchanged, their parents marched
in.)

If "dares" is like "any" in the above environment, can't we argue that
whatever licenses "anybody" in:

Anyone who would kill anybody would steal from them, too.

Also licenses "dare do" in your example:

(i) Anyone who would dare do that with the police parked out side
    obviously enjoys living very dangerously.

Mike