English verbs selecting Bare forms

Robert Levine levine at ling.ohio-state.edu
Fri Apr 6 02:09:39 UTC 2001

Mike---right---but normally, the `modal' versions of `need' and `dare' parallel
each other's behaviour pretty tightly. But the environments with `anyone'
as the trigger don't work at all for `need':

(1) *Anyone who need speak to me this week is out of luck
(2) *If anyone need speake to me this week, they're out of luck.

In his message, Larry seemed to suggest that the `need' and `dare' that
select VP[bse] really are modals, but clearly that's not the case in
`Anyone who would dare do that...', eh? The `dare' here seems to be some
weird kind of hybrid with the valence of the `modal' `dare' but the
polarity insensitivity of the infinitival-seeking main verb. I know, I
know, it's a horrible thought...

cheers,

Bob