English verbs selecting Bare forms

James A. Crippen james at UnLambda.COM
Sat Apr 7 21:09:32 UTC 2001

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Glenn Taylor wrote:

> Not that this in any way serves as a contraction to your examples in general,
> but these two don't fit (with my bracketing added), as what follows
> 'try/tried' is an NP:
>
> > Then, Neri tried [Find People Fast], a trace service based in St. Louis,
> > Mo.
> >
> > MANILA, Philippines (Reuter) - The Philippine Supreme Court has
> > created special courts to try [kidnap suspects accused in a wave of
> > abductions that has terrorized the Chinese-Filipino community],
> > officials said Wednesday.

Yeah, the latter is an indication that the verb 'to try' in the sense of a
legal trial can take nouns and adjectives that appear to be in the form of
VP[base].  Thus you should carefully go over your corpora for instances
of this after you've selected all the instances of TRY VP[base].

'james

--
James A. Crippen <james at unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.2069 N, 149.766 W,