good news from generative grammarians

Liz Coppock lizziecoppock at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 28 01:06:05 UTC 2001

One of my professors (a die-hard generative grammar
guy) said, wrt HPSG (in a computational linguistics
class), "we presuppose all this stuff."

He indicated a conception of the two frameworks
wherein one was just more abstract than the other, not
concerned with all the messy details, but essentially
compatible.

I wonder what the people on this list have to say
about the relationship between HPSG and generative
grammar --

Is his view accurate?
In what sense(s) are the two frameworks compatible?
Could there exist a mapping from any generative
grammar theory to a corresponding HPSG theory?
Is one more abstract than the other?

Elizabeth Coppock
Northwestern University

--- Tibor Kiss <tibor at linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>