good news from generative grammarians

Emily Bender bender at csli.stanford.edu
Sat Apr 28 02:04:27 UTC 2001

>From my point of view, GB/MP is more abstract than HPSG in at least
two ways: (1) it is less precise, in that many of the principles
etc. that make a GB/MP grammar "go" are only codified in prose, and
often not explicitly spelled out at all and (2) while HPSG is shaped
by an aspiration to performance-plausible competence grammar, GB/MP
isn't.  That is, HPSG is designed to be embeddable in an eventual
theory of performance (and in computational performance systems),
while GB/MP is said to be an abstract model of what people know about
language with no relation to how they use that knowledge.  As you
can probably tell from the way I've phrased it, I don't think that
GB/MP is better for being abstract in these ways. YMMV.

As for whether one could translate a GB/MP grammar into an HPSG
grammar, that depends on whether by "GB/MP" and "HPSG" we're talking
about theories or formalisms.  I believe that the theories (as they
are currently stated) are incompatible, no matter which current GB/MP
and which current HPSG theory one picks.  Formalisms are another
matter.  It should be possible although not necessarily comfortable to
reformulate the substance of any given theory from either camp in the
other's formalism.

Emily

Liz Coppock wrote