good news from generative grammarians

Ash Asudeh asudeh at csli.stanford.edu
Sat Apr 28 02:45:15 UTC 2001

Hi Liz

I can see the usefulness of your professor's comments (Chris Kennedy, by
an chance?) in trying to relate unfamiliar formalisms to a more familiar
one ("generative grammar" -- I agree with Tom Wasow that this is annoying,
because although at this point the term has largely become a positive
buzzword, by using it in opposing GB/MP to HPSG, LFG, RG, you name it, it
pumps up the former, at the expense of the latter. I thought we were doing
science, not politics).

However, just because there are analogies between various frameworks, that
doesn't mean that one can be reduced to the other. Yes, to some extent
these are just differences in formalisms, but when theoretical constructs
are stated in formal terms (and "formal" could be ordinary English, but at
a sufficient level of precision), these differences matter. For example,
in many versions of HPSG, there are no traces and no movement. Movement is
the key explanatory operation in GB/MP. Although there are versions that
do without it (e.g., Koster, Brody), they still rely on traces mediating
the filler and the gap.

Also, too often the abstract nature of GB/MP has consisted purely of lack
of precision. But these are different concepts. A theory can be abstract
and still be precise in its predictions (general relativity comes to mind;
just about any theory in the hard sciences is abstract, but precise). I
think it is mischaracterizing HPSG to say that it is not abstract. After
all, nobody believes you have directed acyclic graphs in your head. But
HPSG is precise (as Emily's email pointed out).

It's fine to ignore the "messy details", but only if your theory is
*precise* enough to someday include more of the mess. I feel somewhat
confident in the abilities of HPSG, LFG, and to an extent GB (some
precision wouldn't hurt it, but there have been interesting attempts by
Stabler, Rogers, and others) to do this, but less confident in MP. That's
why I do the former and not the latter.

Here's the kind of lack of precision or espousal of abstractness, if you
would rather put it that way, that I think is problematic with Minimalism,
for instance: it is a theory where half the work is done by
feature-checking and movement, yet there is not any theory of features,
feature projection, feature checking, or feature movement that is precise
in any sense of the word.

Best,
Ash