good news from generative grammarians

Liz Coppock lizziecoppock at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 28 05:25:10 UTC 2001

I apologize for my misuse of the term "generative
grammar;" I was taking up the usage from the title of
the email -- I presumed that "generative grammarians"
was being used to refer to the people who work in the
MIT/GB/P&P/MP tradition.  I understand that HPSG is a
generative grammar, and I am sorry to have caused you
insult.

Please understand that I was not espousing what my
professor said. I too was infuriated when I heard it
-- the "messy details" indeed!  Of course it's
ridiculous!  Nolo contendere.

The point is clear, and true:  in the MIT/GB/P&P/MP
framework, rarely has a testable prediction been made.
 Thus, there could be no mapping; MIT/GB/P&P/MP lacks
what could properly be called a "theory."

Please, I have a great admiration for you and your
work, and I beg you not to misunderstand me.

Elizabeth