from Chris Kennedy

Ivan A. Sag sag at csli.stanford.edu
Mon Apr 30 15:35:14 UTC 2001

FYI...

-Ivan

Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 02:46:36 -0500
To: "Ivan A. Sag" <sag at csli.Stanford.EDU>
From: Chris Kennedy <kennedy at northwestern.edu>
Subject: Re: good news from generative grammarians (fwd)

>PS:  I just noticed that my submission to the HPSG list got bounced,
>because I'm not a member.  I've attached it below --- would you mind
>posting it for me if my original msg doesn't go through?  Thanks.
-------

I hear that I am indirectly responsible for a spirited discussion about the
relation between HPSG and P&P on the HPSG list, though I've only actually seen
Ivan's, Ash's and Carl's messages, in addition to the original one from Liz.
Even from this small selection, though, I see that a few misconceptions about
my views of HPSG may have arisen, so I'd like to clarify things a bit.

First and foremost, let me make it absolutely clear that I have never, will
never, and would never make a distinction between "generative grammar"
on the one hand and HPSG on the other (as though only people who work in
the current Chomskyan framework are doing generative grammar).  Frankly,
I feel kind of stupid having to say this at all, though I understand why the
issue is a sensitive one:  the fact that Liz would assume that this distinction
even makes sense is an indication of how robust the political divisions in
syntax still are, and how they manage to seep down even to the undergraduate
level, despite the best efforts of some of us to neutralize them.  I don't
know what the content of the other postings to the list is, but judging from
the messages from Carl and Ash, I can see that Liz's choice of words
has triggered an (understandably) strong reaction, since they seem to
describe some "die-hard *GB/MP* guy" making pronouncements on HPSG.
This is not completely accurate, however, either in the description
of the guy or in the topic of discussion.

I guess the main substantive point I want to add to the discussion here that
"HPSG" in Liz's message should be replaced with "AVM(s)".  That is, the topic
under discussion in this class was attribute value matrices as *formalisms*
for representing lexical and syntactic information, not HPSG as a grammatical
*theory*.  The main point I was trying to make in class was that the sort of
GB/MP-type framework that most of the students in the class were familiar
with, ***if done right***, needs to make use of a formal system of feature
organization and interaction (this is the point that Ash is getting at in his
message, too), and that AVMs could provide one formalism for implementing such
a system.  Indeed, this is the only way I can make sense of claims about
"feature checking" and whatnot.

At a higher level, then, it is very much the case that people working in such
frameworks presuppose some kind of formal system of feature representation/
interaction --- possibly, in fact *typically*, without consciously realizing
it, and almost always without having any idea what the structure of the system
should be!!!  (We as linguists should know very well that presupposition need
not be a conscious activity.)  I am not saying that this is a good thing ---
in fact my goal in bringing this point up in a computational linguistics class
was to emphasize the fact that we should not settle for such tacit
presupposition: we need to ensure that the theoretical proposals we make can
be grounded in a well-articulated and clearly defined formal system.  This is
true both for HPSG, where people are --- thankfully and to their credit!! ---
concerned with the "messy details", and of GB/MP, where, to their and the
framework's deficit, people often are not.  (Thus I quite agree that
"abstract" in GB/MP typically equals "vague".)

Hopefully it's clear now that the "compatibility" of frameworks that I was
talking about was really a question of whether (at least some) theoretical
claims in GB/MP about lexical properties, syntactic structures, etc. can be
formally captured using AVMs (or similar representational frameworks).

Let me conclude by saying that I do very much think that the larger question
Liz asks about the relation between the grammatical frameworks HPSG and GB/MP
is a pretty damn interesting one, and definitely worth exploring. It's
something that I've often asked myself, and it's a question that I've
(obviously) tried to encourage my students to ask.  (Though I also think that
it's important to have consistency in framework when training students to do
syntactic analysis --- maybe this is why I'm a "die-hard generative grammar
guy".)  I highly doubt that the relation is going to turn out to be one of
equivalence or notational variance, though, so I think Ivan is going to have
to wait a long time for his proofs.

Chris Kennedy

PS: Those of you who are interested in the actual content of this
computational linguistics class can check out the website:

http://ling.nwu.edu/~kennedy/Classes/Syllabi/346-W01.html

>Hi Chris,
>
>I was wondering, along with Ash, whether the professor in question here was
>you. If so, I congratulate you on training a student with such curiosity and
>dedication.
>
>In various settings, I've encountered claims about the notational variance,
>inclusion, etc. of HPSG and/in GB, P&P and MP.  I would be very interested if
>you had some results (proofs, etc.) about the equivalence of MP and HPSG. I
>also wonder if you have seen the excellent (pointed) discussion of the
>relation between constraint-based frameworks like HPSG on one hand and the
>`Minimalist Program' on the other by Johnson and Lappin:
>
>David Johnson and Shalom Lappin. 1999. Local Constraints vs. Economy.
>Stanford: CSLI Publications.
>
>This is a must-read for anyone entering into a discussion of the relation
>between these frameworks, in my opinion.
>
>I hope we can have a productive discussion of these issues.
>
>All best,
>Ivan

- --

Department of Linguistics                tel:  847.491.8054
Northwestern University                fax:  847.497.3770
2016 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL  60208

------- End of Forwarded Message