"Generative" serves them right

Carl Pollard pollard at ling.ohio-state.edu
Mon Apr 30 18:30:48 UTC 2001

Hi Ash,

I know it was semifacetious.

As for the factual correctness, according to my own understanding of the
facts, Probe is somewhat analogous to SLASH/functional uncertainty, but I
don't think it's exactly the same. For one thing, SLASH is registered at
every mother node above the gap. But Probe looks down the tree all at once
for the closest instance of what it needs. In other words, the dependency
is not registered on the head path the way SLASH is. This would
presumably make differing empirical predictions.

I think we have to be careful in asserting how exact the similarity is.

Yes. I was careful to say "Fromm what you say, it sounds like ...

I for one welcome the recent participation of people like Liz and Andrew
Carnie and I would like to see an increase in such participation.

Likewise.

Then we could profitably discuss such similarities and differences
between the theories. The fact is, HPSG and related theories aren't as
well known as P&P and people will make elementary mistakes in trying
to find out about them. But shouldn't we be patient and give them a
chance?

Yes indeed.

Carl