from Chris Kennedy

Carl Pollard pollard at ling.ohio-state.edu
Mon Apr 30 19:08:58 UTC 2001

Returning to Chris's paragraph above, I totally agree that students should
be given consistent syntactic training, be it in HPSG or P&P.
Flip-flopping between formalisms at the undergraduate level will only lead
to confusion, dismay, terror, and a rejection of linguistics.

If there were a common formalism in which the theories of all
frameworks could be written, it would be much easier to compare
them. Students could be taught that formalism as part of the formal
methods course (most linguistics departments DO have such a course,
don't they?). My nominee for that formalism is higher-order logic, but
that's another story.

Carl