ARG-ST as a head feature

Berthold Crysmann crysmann at dfki.de
Fri Jan 19 22:25:00 UTC 2001

Carl Pollard wrote:

> Hi Berthold,
>

> has anyone so far suggested to have ARG-ST as a head feature?
> >>

> Mike Calcagno and I made this assumption in our work on French
> causatives, and it seems to me that it is also needed to get

Can you send me a reference to that paper?

> Abeille and Godard's analysis of French tense auxiliaries to work.

Why? Don't they use entirely flat structures??

> Not that I really want to adopt this
> >>

> Why not?

The exact reason is that I do have a better solution for the concrete
problem at hand (EP clitic placement).

There's also the problem with constituent coordination identified by
Stefan Müller: if one wants to impose a likeness constraint at least on
head values, ARG-ST as a head feature will mess things up.

> The locality argument against doing this is not very
> persuasive, since the existing feature geometries already allow
> selection for things that are never selected for (e.g. parts of
> CONTENT such as QUANTS, having a certain MOD value, etc.).

True. But I wasn't thinking of the locality argument here....

Thanks a lot.

Berthold

--
Berthold Crysmann
Deutsches Forschungszentrum Kuenstliche Intelligenz (DFKI) GmbH