ARG-ST as a head feature

Vlado Keselj vkeselj at uwaterloo.ca
Sat Jan 20 18:43:56 UTC 2001

I am using the discussion below to ask if someone has seen any work
regarding the following idea:

My idea is probably only superficially similar to J P Blevins's idea of
using a public/private access control in HPSG.  We can have small HPSG
grammars, called modules (similar to CFG modules by Shuly Wintner).  Some
types in type hierarchy, some features, and some rules (if not included in
types) are public, while the rest of them are private.  Two modules are
merged in a new module by having all public names in one "name space,"
while the private parts are kept separate.  Merging rules and type
hierarchies is especially interesting.

For example, some interesting modules for separate development and merging
at run time are: general syntactic module, general semantic module,
question (interrogative) syntactic module, question semantic module,
domain semantic modules, etc.

Vlado
Vlado Keselj              e-mail: vkeselj at cs.uwaterloo.ca
University of Waterloo    URL   : http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~vkeselj/