prepositional adjuncts

Van Eynde fralau at iol.it
Wed Mar 21 16:29:01 UTC 2001

At 07.30 20/03/01 +0100, Javier García Bonifaz wrote:
>Hi, everybody.
>Does anybody know of some work done on prepositional adjuncts? I mean noun
>phrases such as "the discovery of America" / "the discovery of Columbus".
>In particular I'm interested in the possibility of treating prepositional
>phrases as if their head were the noun phrase, i.e. "of America" --> head:
>America, and considering the preposition as a mere case marker.

In a paper called 'on the notion 'minor preposition'' I have
proposed a set of criteria for distinguishing between prepositions
which head a PP and prepositions which are non-head sisters of nominal
or verbal projections. The applications I discuss concern Dutch and do not
include the cases which you mention, but the criteria are general enough
to be applicable to them.

You can find the paper in the on-line proceedings of the HPSG-2000
conference, edited by Dan Flickinger and Andreas Kathol.

Friendly greetings,

Frank Van Eynde