AW: "Generative" serves them right

SHALOM LAPPIN shalom.lappin at kcl.ac.uk
Tue May 1 08:31:21 UTC 2001

Sorry Tibor, but I don't recall reporting that Chomsky accepted our
criticisms (I asume you mean the critical work that David and I did in
our &P article and our CSLI monograph) either publically or privately.
I am also not aware that he did accept any of our arguments or even
relates to them in any way. He did cite our L&P paper in his Minimalist
Inquiries (1998) in a footnote in which he lists us together with
Collins as pointing out that global economy conditions involve
complexity problems. Interestingly, we devote a chapter of our book
arguing against Collins' proposal for local economy
conditions. Collins entirely disrgards our work on both global and local
economy principles in his chapter on economy in the Handbook on
Syntactic Theory, which he co-edited with Mark Baltin. Regards.
                                Shalom