the right track vs. the wrong track

Robert Levine levine at ling.ohio-state.edu
Thu May 3 17:59:00 UTC 2001

Like many people doing PSG on a long-term basis, I'm in general agreement
with Steve's points and the kind of examples he's bringing up. But saying
that `only subjects can raise' is a little dicey. If argument-compostion
analyses as pioneered by Erhard Hinrichs and Tsuneko Nakazawa, and now
employed widely in analyses of Romance languages, Korean etc., are valid,
then don't we have non-subjects raising, in effect? Specifically, if you
assume that a verb can take a lexical head as one of its complement and
some sublist of the valence elements selected by that head, doesn't this
allow non-subject raising along any number of lines?

Just curious---

Bob