The appeal of P&P

Liz Coppock lizziecoppock at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 23:07:09 UTC 2001

> The problem is, as Bob pointed out and Raul as well:
> HPSG hasn't had much
> to say about language acquisition (I know of one
> paper by Georgia Green),
> and it hasn't had much to see about systematic
> language typology and
> universals. What's universal? Some types? Some
> features? WHICH ones?

On that note, I'd like to add that there may not be
such a distinct line between knowledge of language and
language acquisition. I believe that they are both
developmental processes, and perhaps the same process.
 For example, when I read and encounter usages I'm
unfamiliar with, I adapt and restructure my grammar to
account for them in light of what I already know.  I
claim that any adequate description of knowledge of
language must describe a system that grows and adapts,
rather than describing a fixed set of strings.

Liz