Filler-gap mismatches

Carl Pollard pollard at ling.ohio-state.edu
Fri May 4 16:21:44 UTC 2001

Hi Bob,

Does anyone know of any HPSG work on situations where fill and gap do not
match up as they should, as (1), which contrasts with (2)?

1) That he might be wrong, he didn't think of.
2) * He didn't think of that he might be wrong.

I remember such examples being discussed in the early 1980's and
have a dim recollection that Joan Bresnan had an explanation for them
(sorry I can't be more specific). Note also:

3) What he didn't think of was that he might be wrong.

4) A: There's something else you didn't think of.
   B: What's that?
   A: That you might be wrong.

5)a. Kim didn't think of the possible nasty consequences, or that
     he might be wrong.

  b. Kim didn't think of that he might be wrong, or the possible nasty
     consequences.

6)a. Before you do that, please think of the possible consequences
     and that you might be wrong.

  b. Before you do that,  please think of that you might be wrong
     and the possible consequences

7) ?Sandy could think of only that he might be wrong, and not of
   what the actual consequences might be if he were right.

Carl