Filler-gap mismatches

Carl Pollard pollard at ling.ohio-state.edu
Sat May 5 00:34:50 UTC 2001

Hi Dick,

Nice to hear from you!

How about a morphological rule that says that "of that" reduces to "that"?
I suspect that most of the facts quoted so far would fall into a place then
- including the one below.

> ?*Sandy could think of, under most circumstances, that he might be wrong,
>   and not of what the actual consequences might be if he were right.
>
> ?*Sandy thought about, when she was in Rome, that she might have
>   made a mistake.

But what about analogous examples with ABOUT instead of OF? Also, the
THINK that takes OF has a different meaning from the one that takes
THAT-S's, roughly `to believe X' vs. `to have X cross one's mind'.

Carl