Filler-gap mismatches

Carl Pollard pollard at ling.ohio-state.edu
Wed May 9 03:03:19 UTC 2001

Hi Bob,

In all fairness, my recollection is that even though G/HPSG folks were
thinking about these kinds of mismatches in the early-to-mid 1980's,
we were thinking about them because LFG folks had called attention
to them.

I don't see how they bear on any empirical distinction
between LFG hypotheses about extraction vs. HPSG hypotheses...

Well, if the linkage is treated as equality between paths of functions
and functions at the ends of those paths don't make reference to
part of speech, then you are not bothered by part-of-speech mismatches;
whereas if you handle the linkage in terms of equality of _local_
feature bundles which DO mention part of speech, then you have more
work to do if something that you claim is a UDC doesn't preserve
part of speech. Conversely, functional equations ALONE won't explain
the cases where part-of-speech identity is required. So both
frame works have to bring in other devices (besides the
principal explanatory mechanism).

Carl