free relatives

ÀÌÇѼ÷ snupi95 at lycos.co.kr
Sun Nov 11 05:06:17 UTC 2001

Dear all,

I'm writing my thesis on English free relatives.
And there are some examples I made, which I'm not sure whether they are grammatical...

a. Jane can solve however difficult problems her math teacher brings.
b. Jane can solve whatever difficult problems her math teacher brings.

The example (a) is bad, isn't it?

And another pair is the following:

c. Wherever you live will prosper.
d. Wherever he lived prospered.

Some of my native informants say (c) is OK, but (d) is strange(with "?", not "*"). Do you think the two above are really different in their grammaticality or acceptability becuase (c) is irrealis and (d) is realis? (As a non-native speaker, I don't think (c) and (d) are so different that I'm not thinking about making different constraints for each of them, at least syntactically.)

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
Hansook

Lee, Hansook