default inheritance

kay at cogsci.berkeley.edu kay at cogsci.berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 23 15:17:43 UTC 2001

I probably am not really entitled to an opinion in this discussion, but
here goes anyway. As I understand things, unless defaults are really
abbreviations in an underlyingly monotonic system, as I take them to be in
current HPSG, they involve overrides. The prototype has, say, feature [A
+] and some related non-prototype case inherits everything from the
prototype except that it has feature [A -]. Thus, [A +] -> [A -].  The
problem with this sort of procedure is that unless you have a theory
tightly restricting which features can be overridden under which
conditions it takes only one override to make a silk purse out of a sow's
ear. [KIND SILK.PURSE] -> [KIND SOW'S.EAR].

Paul