derivational affixes & phrases

Stefan Müller Stefan.Mueller at dfki.de
Wed Apr 3 10:41:26 UTC 2002

Hi Tom,

> I am looking for literature on apparent morphology/syntax mismatches
> where derivational affixes combine with phrases.

There are some examples in German that seem to be derived from phrases.

Fleischer and Barz (1995) discuss Farbgebung (`to give s.t. color'),
Grundsteinlegung (`to lay the foundation stone'),
Zugrundelegung (`to make s.t. the basis of s.t.').

Paul (1920, p. 132) notes that such nominalizations
cannot be analyzed as compounds containing an ung-derived noun since
nouns like *Gebung, and *Legung do not appear in isolation.

These are examples of ung-derivation. The er-derivation is another
pattern that allows phrasal input:

Klamotten-am-Vortag-Rausleger (`person who puts their clothes out on the
day before'), Alle-die-mich-kennen-Grüßer (`person who says ``hello to
everyone I know'' on the radio/TV'),
Aspirin-vor-dem-Schlafengehen-Einnehmer (`person who takes an Asprin
before going to bed'). These nominalizations clearly take phrases as
input. This shows that the `No Phrase Constraint' does not hold for
er-nominalizations.

These and other examples are discussed in Mueller 2002.

In a recent CSLI book, Anke Lüdeling treats particles in verb-particle
constructions as phrases. Since derivations of particle verbs are
possible and since she assumes a structure [[Part-Verb] Suffix], she
assumes derivation with phrasal input. It is not just particle verbs
that allow derivation but also resultative constructions.

In my forthcoming CSLI book I developed an analysis that assumes that
the (inflectional and) derivational affixes are attached to the verbal
stem which is subcategorized for a particle or for a resultative
predicate. It is therefore not necessary to assume that such derivations
have phrasal input.

The analysis is also contained in the proceedings of HPSG2001.

I have no analysis for the phrasal -er nominalizations. One solution
would be to freely allow uninflected underived stems to combine with
syntactic material and allow to postpone derivation and inflection. An
additional condition on utterances/non-heads had to ensure that
everything is infelcted when this is required.

This is not a very attractive solution though and I would be happy if
somebody has or knows of a better solution.

Many greetings

	Stefan

@Book{FB95a,
  author      =	{Wolfgang Fleischer and Irmhild Barz},
  title	      =	{Wortbildung der deutschen Gegenwartssprache},
  edition     =	2,
  publisher   =	{Max Niemeyer Verlag},
  address     =	{T\"ubingen},
  optisbn     =	{3484106824},
  price	      =	{39,80 DM},
  pages	      =	382,
  year	      =	1995
}

@Book{Luedeling2001a,
  author      =	{Anke L{\"u}deling},
  title	      =	{On Particle Verbs and Similar Constructions in
{German}},
  series      =	{Dissertations in Linguistics},
  publisher   =	csli,
  address     =	"Stanford",
  year	      =	2001
}

@book{Mueller2002b-Eng,
  author      =	{Stefan M{\"u}ller},
  title	      =	{Complex Predicates: Verbal Complexes, Resultative
Constructions, and Particle Verbs
		in {German}},
  series      =	{Studies in Constraint"=Based Lexicalism},
  publisher   =	csli,
  address     =	{Stanford},
  note	      =	{\url{http://www.dfki.de/~stefan/Pub/complex.html}},
  year	      =	{To Appear}
}

@InProceedings{Mueller2001d,
  author      =	{Stefan M{\"u}ller},
  title	      =	{The Morphology of German Particle Verbs: Solving the
Bracketing Paradox},
  note	      =	{\url{http://www.dfki.de/~stefan/Pub/paradox.html}}
  editor      =	{Frank {van Eynde} and Lars Hellan and Dorothee
Beermann},
  booktitle   =	{Proceedings of the HPSG-2001 Conference, Norwegian
University of Science and
		Technology, Trondheim},
  publisher   =	csli,
  address     =	{Stanford},
  year	      =	2002
}

@Book{Paul1920a,
  author      =	{Hermann Paul},
  title	      =	{Deutsche Grammatik. Teil V: Wortbildungslehre},
  publisher   =	{Max Niemeyer Verlag},
  address     =	{Halle an der Saale},
  volume      =	5,
  note	      =	{\2nd\unchangedEdition 1968, T{\"u}bingen: Max Niemeyer
Verlag},
  year	      =	1920
}

--
PD Dr. Stefan Müller
Institut für Germanistische Sprachwissenschaft

Tel: (+49) (+3641) 9 44 320     http://www.dfki.de/~stefan/
Fax: (+49) (+3641) 9 44 322
http://www.dfki.de/~stefan/Babel/Interaktiv/Babajava/