from a review...

dmellow at sfu.ca dmellow at sfu.ca
Wed Apr 10 16:59:54 UTC 2002

I have always enjoyed these excerpts from Chomsky (1986: Barriers), pp. 46,
50.

Hence, on the assumptions we are now examining, the subject of an NP must be
regarded as falling in the category of adjuncts, not arguments, with regard
to the ECP.  This is not unreasonable. . . . The preceding discussion shows
that a variety of consequences flow from the assumption that subjects of
noun phrases can in principle be extracted by wh-movement but not over a
wh-island.  Unfortunately, the relevant facts do not appear to be very
sharp.	Further empirical evidence is required, but the logic of the
situation is rather clear.

The conclusion seems correct, though the facts are hardly crystal clear.

Cheers,

Dean