HPSG Diagrams

Luis Casillas casillas at stanford.edu
Mon Dec 2 23:41:23 UTC 2002

I think it would be particularly interesting to hear from people who
(a) participate very much in the HPSG community, yet (b) don't use
LaTeX.  I am somewhat worried that it is an unwritten standard that
thou shalt use LaTeX if thou wanst to write HPSG papers, and that this
is be a barrier to entry into HPSG.  In fact, I think a little web page
cataloging software available to draw AVMs and other of our common
diagrams in various platforms would be a most appropriate thing for the
HPSG community to provide.

My experience as teaching assistant for Sag and Wasow's intro syntax
course (the one their intro book is based on) is that barely any of the
students use LaTeX and that they much prefer to write their homework
with Word rather than handwrite it.  The solutions they arrive at are
varied: some handwrite the whole homework, some do all the textual parts
in Word and draw the AVMs manually, others improvise AVMs with plain
text characters in Word.

--
Luis Casillas
Department of Linguistics