HPSG Diagrams

Paul Kay kay at cogsci.berkeley.edu
Tue Dec 3 00:37:48 UTC 2002

Speaking as something between a marginal member of the HPSG community and
a wannabe - in short a sympathetic outsider - I can second Luis's
suggestion that LaTeX proficiency is a barrier to participation in the
HPSG community. Luis's observation that this barrier operates at the
graduate student level, and thus might influence career choices, is
disturbing if one wants to see the HPSG community grow. For those who
prefer Word, the Equation Editor (and I assume MathType, since it's
supposed to encompass the EE) can do most, if not all, of what the HPSG
writer needs, when combined with the insert-picture capability of word to
draw the vertical and diagonal lines for trees - except for little boxes
to make tags.  No reason tags can't be indicated in square brackets or
with overlining or underlining, etc., though.  I think the real issue is
whether the leading players in the HPSG game are open to the idea of a
more pluralistic word-processing culture.

Paul