AW: HPSG Diagrams

Tibor Kiss afelpado at compuserve.de
Tue Dec 3 09:43:15 UTC 2002

Hi,

as everyone knows I am sympathetic to Latex to the same extent that I am
sympathetic to dinosaurs and other stuff from the past. But obviously, I
would never use it. I think that it is not our task to compile papers, but
to write. (Flame me!)

Given this, I can report what an old user of MS Word etc. is doing:

If you don't want to do trees or lattices, MathType works really nice,
although it is a bit cumbersome and also costs money. A cheap but
unintegrated solution for trees is ArborWin, that's a TrueType font for
Windows which simulates trees. But it's like drawing by your foot. If you
want to integrate feature structures and trees into a single representation,
I found out to do the following (don't laugh, it sounds strange, but it
works):

1) Use MathType to create your feature structures including boxes and stuff
wysiwyg.
2) Copy all your feature structures into a blank page of MS Powerpoint.
3) Use the connectors bar to connect all the feature structures to your
liking. (The nice thing is that you can move around the connected objects
afterwards so that your trees make perfect use of space.
4) Group everything after your finished.
5) Copy it to Word or wherever.

One thing you should not do with Word 2000/XP is to use the facility that
you can have tables included in tables. This is a horror if you want to
re-work it.

Bestens,

T.

Prof. Dr. Tibor Kiss -- Sprachwissenschaftliches Institut
Ruhr-Universitat Bochum, D-44780 Bochum
+49-234-3225114 // +49-177-7468265 // +49-234-3214137 (fax)
What is present now will later be passed.