Type identity

Berthold Crysmann crysmann at dfki.de
Thu Feb 28 21:01:59 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-02-28 at 18:01, Adam Przepiórkowski wrote:

    Hi Berthold,

    > does anyone know of any examples where type-identity (or inequality), as
    > opposed to token-identity, plays a role in syntax?

    I am not sure about syntax, but Tilman Hoehle has a paper (in the
    "Slavic in HPSG" CSLI volume) in which he crucially relies on
    type-identity in his account of phonology in HPSG.

    We (the HPSG group in Warsaw) have an analysis of coordination relying
    on type identity (for checking 'sameness' of conjuncts in certain
    kinds of coordinate structures), but this analysis is rather
    preliminary and -- hence -- probably not a good argument for
    type-identity in syntax.

Even more so, as it is coordination data as well that appear to suggest
the need for type identity in my case;-)

    Best,
    --
    	Adam P.