HPSG's position on adjunction and movement

Tibor Kiss tibor at linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Jan 30 08:39:58 UTC 2002

Hi,

I think it is consensus that one cannot adjoin to a phrase which is an
instance of the head-filler-schema (the head daughter in the
head-modifier-schema must not be the mother of a head-filler-phrase), or, in
our lingua franca, one cannot adjoin to a phrase after movement has taken
place. This seems to hold for the left periphery of clauses, at least.

If we agree on that, I would like to know which principles/constraints take
care of it. Please don't answer that it follows from the fact that adjuncts
are complements and hence that all complements must be realized prior to
SLASH elimination.

I would appreciate your comments.

Best

T.

Prof. Dr. Tibor Kiss -- Sprachwissenschaftliches Institut
Ruhr-Universität Bochum, D-44780 Bochum
+49-234-3225114 // +49-177-7468265 // +49-234-3214137 (fax)
What is present now will later be past.