Reentrancy in feature structures

Mike Maxwell maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu
Fri Jul 5 01:30:53 UTC 2002

I wrote:
> Is there a paper I can read that treats
> (co)indexing under [Carl's] treatment?

To which Carl Pollard replied:
> Not unless somebody besides me wrote it, which is doubtful. If I were
> to write such a paper, it would have what I said above as the main
> idea. This idea in itself doesn't sound very exciting, but the work
> would explaining what the connection is between the syntactic indices
> and semantics (for example, why it is that if two referring NPs are
> coindexed then they corefer, but coreferring NPs need not be
> coindexed; and how you get coindexing of a pronoun with a quantified
> NP to correspond to variable binding in the semantic logic). Many
> people would probably say: this is a bad idea, coindexing is semantic,
> and indices are therefore otiose. Perhaps such a concern underlay
> Martin Jansche's query (to the effect "what's this got to do with
> syntax")

OK, then how are reflexives handled under a system where co-indexing is
not syntactic (and, I presume, therefore inaccessible to the
morphology)?  Do you just have a binary feature 'reflexive'?  (And if
there are languages where reciprocals are represented in the morphology,
a feature 'reciprocal'?)

     Mike Maxwell
     Linguistic Data Consortium
     maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu