Linguist vs CompScientist?

Laura Kertz kertz at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 9 17:20:57 UTC 2002

Hi all,

Since deciding late last year to apply to a PhD program, I have been
lurking on the list to learn more about the current issues in computational
linguistics in general and HPSG in particular.

I'd be thrilled to hear the opinions of members of the list regarding one
of my biggest questions about choosing a program.  I have a BA in
Linguistics from UT and a brand new MA in Liberal Studies from the CUNY
Graduate Center . (Liberal Studies is one of those do -it-yourself
programs; the way I did it was to focus on media studies, mass culture, and
technology.)  I've worked in software/new media since getting my
undergraduate degree, and I have developed a real interest in information
science, AI, and most things geeky.

A PhD program in computational linguistics seems like an obvious fit, and I
have been looking at Penn, MIT, UC Berkely, and maybe UT Austin. But I am
wondering if I should be looking at computer science departments as
well.  NYU's Proteus Project looks really interesting, as does Penn's LINC lab.

I was assuming I would have the easiest 'in' applying to a Ling dept, based
on my past experience, and thought I would just be judicious in choosing
one that played well with the computer science department.  But now I am
wondering...

Can anyone tell me about the actual day-to-day differences between being a
Linguist with a focus in computational linguistics and being a Computer
Scientist with a focus in NLP?   Having weathered the new media economy
here in NYC, I'm trying to settle on a path that would afford me
opportunities later both in industry and academia, and it seems like a
computer science degree might be more useful.

So that's the long story.  Any thoughts from the list?