Portuguese non-headed sentences

Wesley Davidson davidson at ling.ohio-state.edu
Wed Jun 12 15:54:55 UTC 2002

Hi Jose.

> I want to thank the suggestions about sentences like
> (1) Chuva, só no sábado
> 'Rain, only Saturday'
> [...]
> So, I will try to describe expressions like (1) and (2.b) as non-head
> sentences.

Do these things occur everywhere you would expect a sentence (by which I'm
guessing you mean a finite clause) to go?

For example, do they occur as the complement of verbs that select
sentential complements?

That is, is the Portuguese analogue (if there is one) of something like
"Kim thinks [rain only Saturday]" acceptable?  (And not in the
directly-quoted-speech way that "Kim thinks 'Aha!  Another cookie!'" is
acceptable...)

If not, I'd wonder why these non-head sentences don't have the full
distribution of their headed counterparts.

-Wes Davidson