Numeral Classifier

Francis Bond bond at cslab.kecl.ntt.co.jp
Sun May 5 02:53:55 UTC 2002

G'day,

David> If anybody knows of some HPSG works on numeral classifiers (in
David> Chinese, Japanese or any other languages), please let me know.

The only specifically HPSG account I know of is Ng (1997):

@MastersThesis{Ng:1997,
  author =	 {Say Kiat Ng},
  title =	 {A Double Specifier Account of {Chinese} {NP}s using
                  Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar},
  school =	 {Department of Linguistics},
  year =	 1997,
  address =	 {University of Edinburgh}
}

Ian Marshall and Eva Safar mention classifiers in their treatment of
sign language, but don't go into a lot of detail:

@InProceedings{Marshall:Safar:2002,
  author =	 "Ian Marshall and Eva Safar",
  title =	 "Sign Language Synthesis using HPSG",
  booktitle =	 tmi2002,
  year =	 2002,
  address =	 "Keihanna, Japan",
  pages =	 "105-114"
}

Kyonghee Paik and I discuss classifiers in excessive detail, but not
from a specifically HPSG approach, see my on-line bibliography for the
downloadable papers:
<http://www.kecl.ntt.co.jp/icl/mtg/members/bond/bib.html>, especially
<http://www.kecl.ntt.co.jp/icl/mtg/members/bond/bib.html#Bond:1997b>.

We also have two longer unpublished manuscripts that I can send you if
you want:
"Yet another classification of Numeral Classifiers"
"Sortal Classifiers in Japanese and Korean"

They both use a Generative Lexicon style analysis that should be
compatible with HPSG.

--
Francis Bond  <www.kecl.ntt.co.jp/icl/mtg/members/bond/>
NTT Communication Science Laboratories | Machine Translation Research Group