Coreference in Non-constituent coordination

Dick Hudson dick at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk
Fri May 17 11:22:00 UTC 2002

Berthold Crysmann asks:

>Subjects in VP coordination and, apparently  in NCC as well, must be
>interpreted as coreferent. I wonder what the situation is with shared
>indefinite objects in NCC?
## But surely that's not true of subjects in (so-called) VP coordination?
(1)	People come to London in the summer and avoid it in the winter.
(2)	Only one student got a distinction and failed - all the rest just passed.
(3)	One boy kissed Mary and hugged Jane - all the other girls got kisses
and hugs from several boys.

Dick

Richard (= Dick) Hudson

Phonetics and Linguistics, University College London,
Gower Street, London WC1E  6BT.
+44(0)20 7679 3152; fax +44(0)20 7383 4108;
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/dick/home.htm