Coreference in Non-constituent coordination

Andrew Koontz-Garboden andrewkg at csli.stanford.edu
Sat May 18 21:02:39 UTC 2002

> On Sat, 18 May 2002, Dick Hudson wrote:
>
> > At the risk of outstaying my welcome, how about these?
> > (a)	After the examiners' meeting we'll know who passed and failed.
>
> Sorry, I only get the coreference reading here, paradoxical
> though it is.

I rather clearly get the reading here, contrary to John, that there are
different people.  I think this may have to do with the fact (cited by
John) that it is impossible for a person to be a member of both sets.
In less clearly paradoxical cases, it's much harder to get for me.  E.g.
I think I can't get the reading in question with something like (a'):

(a'):  After the examiners' meeting we'll know who passed the exam and
exceeded our expectations.

For the other sentences (of the most recent batch), though, my
intuitions agree with John's.

Andrew