tough construction in Pollard and Sag 1994

incheol incheol at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 5 00:11:50 UTC 2002

Dear list members,

In Pollard and Sag (1994; p 167, footnote 8), it is assumed that the syntactic subject of the tough construction is assigned a semantic role by the adjective. Although they gave some pieces of evidence, I am not sure that those are sufficient for the argument that the subject of the tough construction is the semantic argument of the tough (easy) class verbs. Intuitively, it seems to me that the subject does not get any role from the tough class verbs. In addition, in Korean, tough movement is optional when the subject of the embedded VP is raised into the matrix subject position. I want to get some references to current work on tough constructions. I would appreciate any information on this topic.

Thanks in advance,
Incheol Choi

    Incheol Choi

   incheol at mail.utexas.edu