Query: coordination in Categorial Grammar

Ash Asudeh asudeh at csli.stanford.edu
Thu Oct 10 08:35:48 UTC 2002

Hello All,

Yes, I know this isn't a Categorial Grammar list, but I think several
people here are interested enough and know enough to answer the following
question.

How does CG (either Combinatory CG or Type-Logical Grammar) deal with
non-binary coordination like "X, Y and Z"?

>From reading up on coordination in Steedman's work and Carpenter's book,
it seems that the way it is done is to first combine Y and Z and then
combine this with X (or start with X, this isn't important).

Doesn't this assume that there has to be a coordinator in "X, Y and z"
other than the overt "and" (e.g., either a null coordiantor, or something
corresponding to the comma)?

Thanks,
Ash