Fwd: linear and non-linear terms

Howard Gregory howard.gregory at phil.uni-goettingen.de
Sat Oct 19 10:40:08 UTC 2002

(Original query: co-ordination in Categorial Grammar).

Thanks for this interesting and helpful discussion of linear vs classical /
intuitionistic logic. Perhaps there is also a place here for mentioning
relevance logic. Morrill and Carpenter (1990 I think, in L&P) argue that there
is no vacuous abstraction in natural language (whereas presumably there is
multiple binding, at least in the meaning language). But banning vacuous
abstraction means that we are in a different logic (the lambda-I calculus or
relevance logic), which should have certain not so obvious consequences. I
discuss a few of these - for quantification and modality - in a couple of
papers at this year's Formal Grammar and LOLA conferences. (Whether that
treatment is technically correct or not...)

Regards,
Howard Gregory

H. A. O. Gregory
Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter
Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen
Seminar fuer englische Sprachwissenschaft
Kaete-Hamburger-Weg 3
37073 Goettingen
Deutschland

E-mail: howard.gregory at phil.uni-goettingen.de