Word-and-Paradigm morphology in HPSG

Andreas Kathol kathol at socrates.berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 29 17:24:07 UTC 2002

> I don't know W&P morphology well enough to see how it would
> intermesh with HPSG, but it's safe to say that most of the
> published work on lexical relations in HPSG does NOT assume
> the existence of inflectional morphemes as signs beginning
> with the sketchy remarks in Pollard and Sag, 1987, 1994,
> which suggest a separate function responsible for form,
> f_{3sg}.

On that note, it may be interesting to take a look at p. 257, 272 of:

  Kathol, Andreas. 1999. Agreement and the Syntax-Morphology
  Interface in HPSG. In Robert Levine and Georgia Green (eds.)  {\em
  Studies in Contemporary Phrase Structure Grammar}.  Pp.~223--274
  (chapter 6). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

... in which I show how the morphological realizational functions of
P&S 87 can be parameterized in a way that allows for a pretty
straightforward interface with Stump's Paradigm Function
Morphology. As a possible downside, however, relying exclusively on
realizational functions for inflectional morphology pretty much
completely separates (inflectional) morphology from the
constraint-based mechanisms used in HPSG for describing syntactic (and
semantic) well-formedness.

  --Andreas