seems and sentential complement

Shalom Lappin lappin at dcs.kcl.ac.uk
Wed Sep 4 09:46:50 UTC 2002

Hi Tibor,
     I have to disagree with the Bochum dialect on this one, despite its
authorative antiquity. 'seems' (like 'appears') does not require a 'that'
complementizer with a tensed complement, at least not in my Canadian English.
Your 3 is as good as the other two examples that you cite, as are the following.

1. It seems/appears Mary is happy.
2. It seems/appears Sam will arrive on time after all.
3. It seems/appears John gave the paper to his professor.
4. It seems/appears that Max would rather go to New York than Paris.

Regards.
                                                   Shalom