seems and sentential complement

Ash Asudeh asudeh at csli.stanford.edu
Thu Sep 5 14:31:24 UTC 2002

Tibor,

My Canadian English confirms Shalom's Canadian English: seems does not
need a "that" complement in the examples you gave.

Interestingly, there seems to be dialectal variation with respect to this
very matter in a closely related construction: copy raising.

I've found real life corpus examples of things like this:

1) It seems like that he didn't even see us.

This is ungrammatical for me with the "that".

Advertisement: I have a paper about this; email me for it if you're
interested. It will also eventually appear on my webpage.

Best,
Ash