Prevailing approaches do not have a computational lexicon

Shalom Lappin lappin at dcs.kcl.ac.uk
Sun Sep 22 09:18:31 UTC 2002

Hi Ash,
   I wonder why you are surprised by this phenomenon. There are two points
   worth noting here. (i) It is very common for theoretical linguists
   working in the minimalist framework to follow Chomsky in referring to
   syntaxas "the computational component" of the grammar while assiduously avoiding
clear specification of the computational properties of the syntactic
operations that they posit as elements of this component. I have found
that when pressed on this and related issues many minimalists tend to
retreat to the claim that they are only concerned with a theory of
competence, and so they are not responsible for a computational account of
the grammar, which they assign to impelmentation or performance. The
question remains, then, in what sense they are describing syntax as a
computational component of the grammar. (ii) The widespread lack of
awareness (indifference?) to work going on in other theoretical frameworks
and to research in computational linguistics is legion, and it has been
noted many times. From my own experience in these matters I have found
that regardless of how often one raises these questions, it has little
impact on working practise in large areas of the field. It is probably
best simply to set them aside in order avoid pointless irritation and to
use the time to pursue productive research. Regards.                               Shalom