Prevailing approaches do not have a computational lexicon

Andrew Carnie carnie at U.Arizona.EDU
Sun Sep 22 22:49:15 UTC 2002

Hi Carl,

Yes, the debate is roughly as you've characterized it. "Classical" MP
(if I may use the term "classical" loosly) holds that lexical items come
fully formed into the syntax, complete with feature structures (albeit not
ones as rigourously defined as those in HPSG). The words are then combined
via merge, into phrase markers, where all the relevant features are
"checked" (very roughly equivalent to unified -- which is why some of us
lurk on these lists). The alternative view (a la Distributed morphology)
is that major class lexical items such as verbs and nouns come into the
syntax partly underspecified (including underspecification for syntactic
category). For example, a root such as "DIE" comes in only partly
specified, it is by virtue of combining it with functional categories such
as v (a verbalizer), aspect, tense, etc. it becomes either the verb die or
the noun death. The actual lexical item (technically vocabulary item) is
inserted at the end of the derivation. There is a fair amount of debate
about such things as the role of various semantic primitives (such as
"Cause" and "become" and the extent to which these are present in the
grammar. How checking works in this structure building system is also a
matter of some debate.

Again gross over simplification above, but just to give you the rough
idea.

Rolf's web page at http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~rnoyer/dm/ is a good source
for the latter view. The "classical" view is seen in Chomsky 95.

Best,

Andrew

On Sun, 22 Sep 2002, Carl Pollard wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> I don't think I've grasped what the term "lexicalism" means in this
> context, and what the "prevailing view" that you advocate is. Can
> you say a bit more? Does the difference have something to do with
> the issue that used to be expressed in terms of whether words
> are combined to form phrases, or whether phrase markers are generated
> and then words inserted into them?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carl

     O  O  O  O  O  		Andrew Carnie, Ph.D.
    <|\/|\/|\/|\/|>  		Asst. Professor of Linguistics
     =  =  =  =  =  		Department of Linguistics
    << << << << << 		Douglass 200E, University of Arizona
    ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ 		Tucson, AZ 85721

				Tel: (520) 621 2802
				Cell: (520) 971 1166
				http://linguistlist.org/~carnie