Question concerning wh-movement

Tibor Kiss afelpado at compuserve.de
Thu Jan 9 08:20:53 UTC 2003

Hi everybody,

I have a question concerning a rather awkward pair of sentences. Do you
think that there are grammaticality contrasts between (3) and (4)? This pair
derives from the apparently perfectly grammatical (1) and (2).

(1) You have claimed that every man fixed a car yesterday that he likes.
(2) You have claimed that Bill fixed a car yesterday that he likes.

(3) Which car have you claimed that every man fixed yesterday that he likes?
(4) Which car have you claimed that Bill fixed yesterday that he likes?

I am only interested in readings where the pronoun in the relative clause is
coindexed with/bound by the lower subject.

Thanks,

T.