"Syntatic Theory" Query

Paul Kay kay at cogsci.berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 24 23:09:39 UTC 2003

Tom & Emily,

Are you being too modest?  I find attractive the suggestion that a word
string like "Kim prefers doughnuts" is ambiguous between a
subject-predicate structure (conveying, say, a vanilla categorical
judgment) and a subject-topicalized structure with a specialized discourse
function.  I too haven't investigated whether NP-VP strings can accept the
prosody and discourse interpretations of topicalized sentences like (1)

(1)	DOUGHNUTS, Kim LIKES.

in the sense that I haven't done systematic interviewing on the question.
But consulting nothing more probative than my own intuitions it seems to
me that discourses like (2) are natural

(2)	A: I've brought cinnamon rolls for Sandy, Kim and Pat.
	B: KIM, likes DOUGHNUTS.

and suggest that NP-VP strings can constitute topicalized structures wrt
discorse interpretation and prosody.

Paul

Paul Kay
<kay at icsi.berkeley.edu>